Friday, September 30, 2011

Welcome Miss Lacey Elizabeth

Labor Day will forever mean something different for our family. I had a feeling labor had started the night before because I was having some lower back pain, which is how Luke's labor began. Early the next morning, around 4 am, contractions started. By 5 am, they were about 15 minutes apart, so I got up and put my stuff in the car, waiting for them to get closer together.  They did not get any closer, so I decided to do some laundry, vacuum, sweep and mop the floor, etc.  About 10 am, contractions seemed to stop altogether, only coming about once or twice an hour. However, about 1:30 pm they came back with a vengeance. By 2 pm they were getting too intense to handle at home, and about 7 minutes apart, so we headed to the hospital while my mom stayed with Luke. I was surprised my water did not break on its own this time. By the time we got to the hospital at 3 pm, contractions were intense and about 2-3 minutes apart. I was at 6 cm and fully effaced. Two hours later (and only 9 minutes of pushing), our little girl was here!

Lacey Elizabeth Gillespie
Born 9-5-11, 5:08 pm
6 lbs, 13.7 oz, 19.5 inches






The grandparents were eagerly awaiting their chance to meet Miss Lacey and enjoyed some cuddle time with the newest grandchild. 

My mom brought Luke with her and we greeted him with some presents from new sister Lacey to make sure he felt special. 






Lacey's name was one that came to me before I was even pregnant, but not because I was ever considering naming my child that name. However, throughout the entire pregnancy, it was the only name in my head. Nothing else seemed right. I decided that if this was going to possibly be her name, I wanted to research its meaning. I knew it could mean "lace" but another meaning is "delicate fabric". As soon as I read that, I knew this was her name. I did not know I was pregnant because she was a little surprise. "Delicate fabric" immediately made me think of Psalm 139 and the Lord "knitting [her] together in my womb" before I even knew she was there. Psalm 139 has always been special to me and it was like God told me this was to be her name. Elizabeth is my middle name and I have always loved it. Since Luke has Allen's middle name, we did the same with Lacey and she got mine. 

I worked with an Etsy designer to make a wall decal with a portion of Psalm 139 for her room.


 As soon as we learned it was a girl, I knew I wanted to go with a shabby chic room theme. Here are some more pictures of her precious room:











We are overjoyed at the arrival of our daughter and are celebrating life as a family of 4!  I'll share more about life with two kiddos in her 1 month post due soon. :)



0 comments: