Friday, October 26, 2007

SO CAL Firestorms

I've gotten numerous phone calls, text messages, and facebook messages asking if we have been safe during the fires. So, I thought I would post a little on that.

We first heard about the fire about 7:00 on Sunday morning when Annie called and woke us up. The fire started in Malibu Canyon, apparently by the extremely strong winds knocking down electrical lines. Between not having had rain for months and months and then having 60mph+ winds, it was a catastrophe waiting to happen. The wind blew the fire towards the ocean and right at Pepperdine. Scary as that was, had the winds blown the opposite direction, it would have headed towards our home.



Its kinda hard to explain, but the fire wrapped around the west side of campus. It even came onto the edge of campus. Burned up the hill right outside my office window. The fire was very sporadic, basically where the wind blew embers. Some areas were charred and others untouched. But I have to say - thank the Lord for our well-trained, well-prepared firefighters. Who knows how much worse it could have been?



They relocated the students to the Waves Cafe and to the Firestone Fieldhouse (which can supposedly sustain flames for several hours).



Once again, Pepperdine's buildings and people survived unharmed. Just a few cars and an equipment shed were lost. Some of Annie's friends who live in the apartments next to campus ("the stinkies" for Pepp reference) were not so lucky. A couple of them lost their apartments just southeast of Malibu Presbyterian. Malibu Pres wasn't so lucky either.




That roof top isn't there anymore. Of course, I immediately wondered what Revelation 4 had to say. So, I looked it up. No, it's not about fire, destruction, or the end of the world.

"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."
.....

"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory, honor and power, for
you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."

Uncanny, isn't it? The Lord is always in control and always worthy of our praise, even in the midst of destruction.

2 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

So glad you are safe! God is good!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! What awesome pictures. I had not seen those! I'm sure Annie must have been terrified. I am so thankful that all of you are safe and OK. Did Donna feel any effects from the recent Quake in San Jose? I meant to have Dad ask you Allen the last time ya'll talked. Yes, people I said ya'll, I'm from the south. =-)
Love "all ya'll" =-)
Momma G